Sunday, May 10, 2009

Heather • First senior adoptee reports in



Rover Reporter Pasha: I'm here today in Beaverton Oregon with our first senior greyhound adoptee for Adopt-A-Senior month, Heather. So, Heather, news traveled fast when we heard that you had gone to your forever home - congratulations to you. What are your first impressions?

Heather: Thanks Pasha, it's great to be here. I gotta be honest - it's a weird place - for example, they have these things called mirrors - apparently they help you look at yourself, but it took me a little while to figure out that there wasn't another grey that just wouldn't get out of my way when I tried to walk past her --we kept bumping heads. It's also a lot more roomy and comfy - I pretty much have the run of the place, along with the 5 humans I live with and my nephew.


Pasha: Your nephew lives with you?

Heather: Yes, that was a pleasant surprise. When I first came here, one of the human girls took me around to the big run they call the back yard and there he was - Comet - and boy were we excited to see each other. I couldn't get quite as excited as he did because I still have the stitches from getting spayed in my belly.


Pasha: So, what do you think about being the first senior adopted for the month? What do you think your new family's perspective is on your age?

Heather: I think it's great, but I really would like to see the rest of the seniors find their forever home like me. We have a lot to offer, and we're still very young at heart. I met my new family at an adoption event, and I really charmed them there because I am such a lover dog. Age wasn't really a factor at all for them, it was all about my personality - in fact, they really weren't planning on having two greys at all - but I really won them over at that adoption event. They were more curious at how it was going to be to have a girl greyhound - obviously Comet is a boy, and they had another greyt hound that was a boy named Chuck before Comet came to live with them.

Pasha: How do you think you are fitting in with your new family?

Heather: Pretty well, I think. They have three human pups that love to pet and play with me, and are good about how they treat me, and the older humans also seem to enjoy my company. Apparently, I'm their first greyhound that has gotten up on the sofa - I think they'd seen pictures of greys on sofas, but for some reason neither Chuck nor Comet ever made use of their sofa. I can't understand why - it's really comfy, and you can put your head in the human's lap and they pet you for what seems like forever. It's greyt, and the humans seem to enjoy it too. I enjoy playing with Comet too - he has lots of toys (he's always loved squeekers), and he is totally open to sharing with me, which is fantastic. As we're getting more used to each other, we're playing more and more, both in the house and in the back yard. We did get up and play at 3:30 in the morning once in the house - I got the impression the humans weren't really pleased with that, but they were too groggy to do much about it...so we've only done that once.


Pasha: You were in the kennel for a long time, what has that done for your outlook on life?

Heather: Well, after I stopped working (racing and having pups), I did spend quite a bit of time in the adoption kennel - it's not unusual for seniors, you know. I think that time has really made me appreciate my forever home and family - and I think they can tell that. As I said, I am a bit of a lover dog - so I nuzzle them, lay my head on their lap, come over and see them often, lick their face when I get a chance, and I also make a lot of eye contact with them. I love the walks we go on all together, we meet lots of dogs in the neighborhood, see some cats (I really want to meet the cats, but the family won't let me get that close, and those darn cats just sit right where they are and stare at you), and a few horses and humans too. I guess what I'm saying is that my outlook is to get the maximum out of my new life - and I think I'm doing that. Now, don't get me wrong, getting the max still means a whole lot of couch time, but boy is that a greyt way to pass the time.


Pasha: Any last thoughts?

Heather: Well, as I mentioned, us seniors are a hidden treasure in the adoption pool - people do get too caught up on age. I'd like you to tell the humans to get to know a senior - with a minimal time investment, our personalities will win almost anyone over. I'm pretty confident my new family has totally fallen in love with me. I heard that the adoption event on May 16th will have a lot of seniors there, ready to meet the humans - they should all come and spend some time and get to know us. I'm trying to convince my family to drop by too, so I can see my old pals!

Pasha: Thanks Heather. This is Rover Reporter Pasha, signing out from Beaverton.

No comments: